“Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future,
concentrate the mind on the present moment.”
What’s the definition of a healthy life?
While everyone will have slightly different answers, there are proven ways to stay healthy including the right food, exercise, and enough sleep. And now there’s one more option to add to that list: staying present.
The Benefits Of Living In The Present
Living in the present moment, or mindfulness, has a variety of health benefits, namely “lower levels of perceived stress, anxiety, and depression; improved mood; and a sense of improved well-being,” according to the Mindfulness.org site.
A study by a team of Australian researchers confirmed that “being present and aware in the midst of daily hassles increases stress resilience and serves to alleviate the harmful impact of stressors for days after.”
Staying present was proven to work better at stress management than some of our “go-to” strategies such as ignoring or denying problems or distracting ourselves to avoid dealing with an issue.
In short, mindfulness helps us shift from doing into simply being, and this gives us a greater ability to handle life’s tough stuff—including managing food cravings and making good choices.
Tips To Develop Mindfulness
Regularly practicing mindfulness exercises can be the key to living in the present moment and more effectively managing our stress.
Here are some easy things you can do.
- Simply pay attention. Whatever you’re doing—walking, eating, writing—try to focus on the sensations inside you and around you, what do you hear, see, smell, taste, and feel?
- Change your daily routine. It can be as simple as starting with the opposite foot/leg when putting on socks/pants. Drive to work a different way. Brush your hair with the opposite hand.
- Become aware of habits. Do you automatically go to the fridge when something has upset you? Try to become aware of psychological responses to stress and the actions you take out of habit.
- Slow down. Doing anything slowly helps you focus on the action and find the simple joy in just doing it. And this means trading multi-tasking for doing one thing at a time.
- It’s one of the best ways to learn how to stay present, and thankfully there are now a variety of apps to help us build this habit. Read on!
Help From Today’s Technology
There are many amazing mindfulness apps available to help us, so many in fact that listing them would take several pages.
So here are links to two great articles that review and provide links for 22 different mindfulness and meditation apps.
And…we’d like to announce that both Eliot and Claire are now certified yoga instructors who are ready to help you on your journey to a healthy life through meditation and mindfulness as part of the Why Weight program!
Connect with us to get started, and feel free to share any apps that have worked well for you!
The Why Weight Transformation Program is an all-natural, safe, and effective way to lose weight by assessing the factors involved in fat storage and fat metabolism utilizing Bio-Marker Scanning technology, which help bring your body into the optimal fat burning zone. Contact us today for a free evaluation.
You can also check out our FREE e-book, “Break The Sugar Habit.” Learn the scientific reasons behind sugar addiction and what you can do to break the bonds. CLICK HERE for your copy!